Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A year to remember...

One year ago today is a day that I will never forget. I received news that would forever change my life...especially the following year! Another little Curry was on the way!!! We were surprised, but thrilled nonetheless! D-day was marked on the calendar as October 23rd, all the siblings were excited (except Molly...she was pretty sure she was the baby), and Brett & I were amazed that God had decided to trust us with another sweet blessing.  On March 31st I had concerning symptoms and was sent in the next day for an ultrasound. I can't even explain the relief (and tears) that washed over my heart when we saw that little heart beating...baby was alive and well, but surrounded by a very large placental lake. Because of this I was put on moderate bed rest (which means I didn't have to be in bed, but I had to sit all the time & I wasn't allowed to lift anything ) for one month (for a mother of 4 young children that is a monumental assignment!). That was the longest and hardest month of my life - I'm not a sitter, I'm a doer. Thank goodness for great friends though!!! Within 12 hours of the news my dear friend/sister Meagan had organized a month of meals, house cleaning, and childcare for our family! Even as I type tears of gratitude fill my eyes...we would have been in such a mess (literally:) if we hadn't had so many people willing to bring meals, scrub toilets, wash & fold laundry, and care for our kiddos. I am SO thankful for all that helped out! :)  At the end of the month I had another ultrasound which showed that not much had changed. My midwife said that obviously all the sitting hadn't helped the placental lake to reabsorb so she allowed me to be up and around. Still no lifting or heavy/hard work though. The biggest concern at that point was preterm labor and/or a very small baby. Week after week passed and each ultrasound showed baby thriving but little to no change in the size of the lake. Each time I saw/heard that little thump thump of baby's heart or felt baby move within me I thanked God for another day another moment with this precious baby. Once we passed 23 weeks (that's when baby is viable outside the womb) my goal was 36 weeks which is how far along I would have to be to follow through with our plans for a home birth. September 25th, 2010 was a day of celebration for me - I had a healthy, growing baby and I had reached 36 weeks! The lake was still present, but no longer a concern! At 34 weeks Brett asked the tech to tell him the baby's gender, but I DID NOT want to know so he kept it a secret. :)  On Saturday, October 9th I woke up around 8 and went downstairs. My parents were coming over to make breakfast for the kids and Brett & I...or so I thought. :) We were all standing around the kitchen talking while my dad made breakfast when we hear a commotion in my front yard and our name being called through a bullhorn. I hesitantly opened the front door (I was, after all, still in my pjs - thankfully they matched and were decent!) to find most of our life group plus a few extras standing on my front lawn. They were there to do some very long overdue and much needed yard work (you would have to see pics or have been here to understand how badly it was needed)! My first contraction came about 5 minutes before I opened the front door. :)  I told no one (except Brett of course) for quite a while. But my mom, sister, and those friends who knew me best knew what was going on just by watching me. At noon I texted the midwife to let her know what was going on. She gave me very specific instructions on when to call back (my last labor/birth had been only 3 1/2 hours & the midwife barely made it in time to deliver). At 2:09 I called her and she headed this way (from Webb City - about an hour away). I went to my room and prepared everything for the coming delivery. The midwife arrived around 3:30 and at 4:45 precious Maggie Hope (our 4th girl!) entered the room surrounded by those who loved her the most (and the sound of the power washer still going in the front yard!)! She was healthy and beautiful and oh so loved. We had been concerned for months about a preemie, but Maggie was 8 lbs 3 oz - our biggest baby yet! What a testimony of God's faithfulness to His children - not only was she not a preemie, she was big for a Curry baby! The last 4 months have gone by so quickly and with so much joy. Each of our children are a blessing and bring joy to us! Yes, there are many difficult & overwhelming days that I wonder how I will survive, but His mercies are new every morning and for that I am eternally grateful!

So that is the last year in a nutshell. I woke up this morning thinking about it and just had to get my thoughts out of my head and onto paper...uh...digitally speaking.  It's been an emotional rollercoaster, but the ups make the downs tolerable.  At the moment Maggie is sleeping in her swing and I can't help but look at her every few minutes and thank God for our sweet baby girl - how differently things could have been if not for God's protection over her.

Oh, and our yard looks amazing! I'm looking forward to spring weather so I can sit on the front porch again and enjoy the view. We have the World's Best Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment